Dear HTS Community:
At the December Vision Council meeting, we discussed multiple ways that we could improve the quality of cafeteria offerings for our students. Multiple parents suggested improving the quality of the food, others suggested improving the “ambience” in the cafeteria and still others recommended improving the outdated equipment. As we start the 2013-14 school year, I am proud to say we have made tremendous strides in all three areas:
1. Maschios has been able to improve the quality of our school lunch this year. Special features include:
- Whole grain “white rolls” for hot & cold sandwiches.
- Vegetable burgers in the Grab & Go slider area.
- Whole chicken products.
- Lean beef products.
- Reduced sodium entrees and snacks.
- Fresh made yogurt parfaits offered as a “swap-out” item on Fridays.
- Preparing foods with more fresh herbs.
- Jersey Fresh produce when available – we began this year with fresh peaches and apples from Ripple Hill Farm, Basking Ridge.
- Farm fresh from our vendor when New Jersey produce is not available.
- More freshly prepared items – this month’s “Bacon, Egg & Cheese Omelet.”
- We will be offering a different bean salad on the salad bar once a week.
- Fresh made smoothies on celebration days.
2. New signage, countertops and serving areas highlight the front of our cafeteria and provide for a consolidated serving area so students can access most non-salad bar items on the main line.
3. We have purchased and installed a new refrigerator, new oven and a new range. These state of the art devices allow for a better range of cooking and serving options.
We hope your children enjoy these changes and invite you all to get involved at our next Vision Council meeting on Wednesday, October 9th at 7:00pm in the L/MC. Jenn Baldassari and Alison Hunter will be presenting to our parents about Singapore Math – specifically how you can help your child with their homework.